- Travel together to save costs for a hotel room (in some countries in Asia for example its unlikely to have hostels) and its so fairly cheap to just get a room but if you are together it would mean half price. Sometimes I even met a stranger whilst getting off the bus arriving in a new location/on the bus within a two minute chat, ended up sharing a room. This is something you shall get used to
- Stay in hostels – if available (in some countries or places not such as Asia)
- Stay at hotels with free breakfast + extra freebies
- Compare and negotiate ho(s)tel room prices AirBnB
- Couchsurfing (Built a network in advance to get free accommodation) – it’s not my style because for me its seems to much effort, but I have met a couple of people that have been doing it, saves money but gave mixed feelings feedback
- Voluntar work for free accommodation / Voluntary jobs / WOOF – I’ve never done because I don’t want to be tight up in the middle of nowhere and not be able to save up money because you work for free accommodation and free food – that’s it. Would be real traveling either in my opinion. Sometimes you have to be lucky and get a good job or just take this.
- Carry a hammock and/or tent.
- Camping: research free camping grounds.